Are you planning a Punjab Trip? This blog is all you need to start with!
Punjab, affectionately known as the land of five rivers, is a place that offers an incredible experience for travelers worldwide. Packed with mouthwatering food options, markets to shop from, and an exhaustive list of famous places to visit in Punjab, there’s a lot to explore! The best time to visit Punjab is usually October to March when winter blankets the state. (places to visit in Punjab)
You can enjoy the popular kadak chai, gajar ka halwa, and more while having time and energy to explore tourist attractions, including the holy shrines of Sikhism, the Golden Temple (also known as the Sri Harmandir Sahib). The state is home to three takes of the religious authority of Sikhism out of five. The Golden Temple attracts thousands of visits every month and is a place of holy significance for Sikhs all over the world.
The state has a lot to offer from a travel and culinary perspective, and if you are planning a trip to Punjab, it is best to plan well advance in time. With so many places to visit and such a variety of food to try, it can get overwhelming. Therefore, this blog lists all the major places you must visit when in Punjab.
9 Absolutely Marvelous Places to Visit in Punjab
- Chandigarh: A Union Territory, Chandigarh is popular for being among the cleanest city in India. The capital of Punjab and Haryana is known for its organized architecture and well-planned city layout. Chandigarh is regarded as the first-ever city in India that was developed after careful planning and execution making it an architectural marvel of its kind. (places to visit in Punjab)The city has ample greenery cover and magnificent gardens worth visiting. The natural attractions are mesmerizing and can make you feel closer to nature. Moreover, the rental living spaces (resorts, hotels, and Airbnb) are affordable.Places to visit in Chandigarh include the Rock Garden of Chandigarh (Zakir Hussain), Rose Garden, Sukhna Lake, and Elante Mall. In addition, this wealthy city of India has many gardens to visit. Aside from Rose Garden, the Garden of Fragrance, Japanese Garden, Botanical Garden, Bougainvillea Garden, and more!
- Mohali: Aside from the famous Mohali cricket stadium, the city is known for its extensive range of shopping places. The city is truly a shopping paradise. Also known as Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar, the city got its name after Guru Gobind Singh’s eldest son. Mohali, Panchkula, and Chandigarh together form the famous and iconic Chandigarh Tricity. The satrap sector of Mohali is a favorite location for shopping.The places worth visiting include Baba Banda Singh Bahadur War Memorial, Gurdwara Amb Sahib, the famous Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Fateh Burj, Bhakra-Nangal Dam, and Thunder Zone.
- Amritsar: Popular for its lip-smacking Amritsari kulchas, the city has so much to explore! From the Wagah border to traditional tour attractions, it is best to plan your day way ahead to enjoy every minute here. Thousands of tourists visit the partition museum of Jallianwalah Bagh, the Golden Temple, and Gobindgarh fort are just a few places to be. In addition, there’s an ocean of food options the city has to offer.You can enjoy the hearty meat of Guru ka Langar & Kara Prasad at the Golden Temple, grab some Fish and Chips, traditional sarsoon da saag & Makki ki roti, a plethora of kulchas, kebabs, tikka, and champs! There’s no end to it!
- Ludhiana: When planning a Punjab trip, Ludhiana is a must-go-to place! Known as the Manchester of India, Ludhiana is known globally as a manufacturer of shawls and stoles. The place is known for its high-quality clothing items and the essence of uniqueness it adds to it. The range of clothing items you can buy here will last you a lifetime. Aside from being a cloth manufacturing hub in India, there are plenty of places you can be before or after shopping.The places worth visiting are Gurudwara Nanaksar Jagroan, Pavilion Mall, Hardy’s World, Rakh Bagh Park, Maharaja Ranjit Singh War Museum, Phillaur Fort, and Tiger Safari.Dal Makhni is a popular dish originating here and a must-have. Aside from that, samosas, parathas of different types, chaap tikka pakoras, and pani puris are a must-try! Bargara, kulchas, and tikka masala items are stapled everyday foods.
- Bathinda: Also known as the city of lakes, Bathinda is a marvel you shouldn’t miss out on. The city is among the most developed city in India. The city has historical significance since it was in Bhatinda where India’s first woman emperor Razia Sultan was captured and imprisoned. Today, Bathinda has thermal power plants of its own, a fertilizer plant, an oil refinery, and truly majestic forts!The places worth visiting are Takht Sri Damdama Sahib, Qila Mubarak, Bhatinda fort, Chetak Park, Mittal city mall, Mazaar of Peer Haji Rattan, Hajji Ratan Gurudwara, and Lakhi Jungle.Bhatinda is famous for its exquisite range of tandoori cuisine. From tandoori rotis to chicken tikka, the list is endless. There are ample cafes in the city that offer delicious food to try.
- Gurdaspur: Located between Beas and Ravi rivers, Gurdaspur is popular for its Gurudwara, where Guru Nanak Dev spent his last days before making a move. The city also has great Sikh temples that are a must-visit. The langar Seva in these gurudwaras is worth trying.Places to be when in Gurdaspur include Fish Park, Kabootri Darwaza, Mahakaleshwar Temple, Gurudwara Sri Chala Sahib, Gurudwara Sri Darbar Sahib, Jhulna Mahal, Dhianpur Shrine, and Dera Baba Nanak.Foods to try in Gurdaspur range from traditional Punjabi thalis, cafes are there for quick bites and restaurants that serve pure vegetarian food.
- Pathankot: Pathankot is amongst the best places to visit in Punjab for its marvelous architecture, and the vast range of shawls made here made Pathankot popular. Pathankot is a base for the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force. The city has the best beauty thanks to its positioning at the junction meeting point of Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Jammu and Kashmir.Places to be when in Pathankot include Nurpur Fort, Ranjit Sagar Dam, Shahpurkandi Fort, and Kathgarh temple.The food options in Pathankot include Punjabi thali and opportunities for enjoying street food in Pathankot.
- Hoshiarpur: Known as the land of saints, Hoshiarpur has been home to gurus and saints for centuries. The city has an amazing green cover engulfed in hills and is ideal for visiting the October-March period. The district is old and among the earliest civilizations in India. The city is very well planned and worth visiting.Places of interest in Hoshiarpur include Damsel Dam, Takhni-Rehmapur Wildlife Sanctuary, Gurudwara Tahil Saheb, The Times Cinema, and Gurdwara Harian Velan are places to interest and worth taking considering when planning famous places to visit in Punjab.If you are looking for the ultimate foodgasm experience, consider visiting Ambala Chat House, Mashoor Jalebi wale, Kotu fast food, Raj fast food, and Nest Snacks are highly recommended must-try places.
- Patiala: Popular for its mention in songs from Bollywood, Patiala is the place for those looking for traditional Patiala shahi turbans. Paranda, which is a hair accessory with tassels, Patiala salwar is another clothing item that is very popular in the region and across India. Jutti is another popular footwear from Patiala that is popular for adding a pop of color to any outfit.Places of interest in Patiala include Kali temple, Omaxe Mall, Sheesh Mahal, Baradari Garden, and Gurdwara Dukh Nivaran Sahib.If you are a food lover, then Patiala offers Punjabi thalis are famous, and there is a wide variety of street food available to devour here!Add These Famous Places to Visit in Punjab to Your Bucketlist Today!Punjab is the land of culture, heritage, and flavors that reflect enthusiasm, love, and the spirit of togetherness. With a wide range of things to do, places to visit in Punjab, and food to try. If you are planning to visit somewhere this year, I highly recommend Punjab!
Planning more trips? 11 BEST THINGS TO DO IN RISHIKESH
You could also follow me on Instagram, Facebook to stay updated about my travel adventures around the world.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the best time for planning a Punjab trip?
Planning a visit to Punjab in the months from October to March is the best, considering the weather would be cool, adding comfort and pleasure to your journey.
Can I book a train to Punjab?
Punjab has some major railway stations that offer the convenience of great connectivity. Aside from trains, there are flights, buses and cab services available.
Which language is spoken in Punjab?
Punjabi is the major spoken language, but people understand and speak Hindi and English.